I know a lot of people are very excited about running races this year. Whether you are planning on running a 5K or a Marathon this year, I know the training can be very rigorous on your body. Staying injury free is going to be the most important key for you to achieve your goal of crossing that finish line. Stretching, proper warm-up, and cool down are very important. However, those three things will not be enough to stay injury free, especially if you plan to run a Marathon. If you want to stay injury free all year long then you should definitely make foam rolling a part of your training.
Benefits of foam rollers:
- It helps prevent most common injuries. Many runners are usually tight in their IT bands and that leads to injuries because the muscles are too tight. Foam rolling everyday will prevent you from getting injured.
- It helps you release stress. If you had a hard and stressful day, you can use a foam roller and you will feel a whole lot better afterwards.
- It keeps you flexible. Flexibility is one of the most important things you should focus on. Staying flexible will help you increase your range of motion and perform better.
- It will save you time and money. If you get injured you will need to go to physical therapy and that costs time and money. Physical therapy is pretty expensive, I know because I got injured last year!
Tips for Using a Foam Roller:
- Use foam rollers when your muscles are warm
- Focus on your trouble areas
- If you find a painful area, then hold that position until the area softens
Foam roller sample exercises:
If you want to learn more about how to use the foam roller then I recommend you check out the P90X2 recovery and mobility DVD. Tony Horton does a great job at showing how to use the foam roller. Good luck in all your races this year and I hope you reach your running goals!